- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 2 whole cloves
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 1 cup cream
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp each of rum or brandy
*4 egg whites (optional
- In a large bowl, use a whisk or an electric mixer to beat egg yolks until they become somewhat lighter in color. Slowly add the sugar, beating after each addition, whisking until fluffy.
- Combine the milk, cloves, and cinnamon in a thick-bottomed saucepan. Slowly heat on medium heat until the milk mixture is steamy hot, but not boiling.
- Temper the eggs by slowly adding half of the hot milk mixture into the eggs, whisking constantly while you add the hot mixture. Pour the mixture back into the saucepan.
- Cook on medium heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until the mixture begins to thicken slightly, and coats the back of the spoon. Do not allow the mixture to boil, or it will curdle. (If the mixture does curdle you may be able to save it by running it through a blender.) Remove from heat and stir in the cream. Strain the mixture through a mesh strainer to remove the cloves. Let cool for one hour.
- Mix in vanilla extract, nutmeg, rum and brandy.
*Optional: Beat egg whites until they reach soft peaks. Add a teaspoon of sugar and continue to